Monday, July 8, 2019

4 Ceramic Mugs

I thought creating my life meant
what things I owned
to surround myself with.

When at 17
I moved out on my own
(home),
supporting myself with a $2.35 an hour job
at a commercial laundry,
I nailed a wooden crate to the wall
of my $120 a month including utilities studio cottage
as a shelf, a cupboard.

In the crate-shelf on the wall
I proudly displayed
4 ceramic mugs
I’d bought for $0.25 each.
Earth colored with copper green oxide stripe on 2,
and dark brown stripe ringing the lip of the other 2.

I would lay on my mattress on the floor
and gaze at those 4 mugs,
savoring feelings about the life I was creating for myself with these mugs.
These mugs I thought of as the foundation,
the first seeds,
of the life I was creating.
Solid.
Earth-based.
The cups would be with me all my life,
I imagined.

I assumed.
Like hope chest treasures
my mother encouraged me to store in the cedar chest,
and someday wedding gifts. But
I wasn’t getting married, except to my own life.
The ceremonial feeling of owning those mugs
on display in my wood-crate shelf
felt powerful.
Moving out on my own.
Free at last.

Little did I know
possessions come and go.
They have no power to
be
my life.
My life I create is the me,
the who I am,
that I hone through life experiences,
with mentors,
friends,
even enemies.
The inner life I polish
like a jewel.
That is me.

About this poem

This poem is part of my Solstice solar year poem cycle, where I write a poem a day from June 22, 2019 to June 21, 2020. The poem a day may get posted on a different day than it was written, or several poems might get posted on the same day. And if I choose to submit a poem to a literary journal, I delete it from this blog before doing so. That's my project. I hope it touches your soul and makes you think. And maybe inspires you to write more poems of your own.

No comments: