Sunday, June 28, 2020

New Memes: Global Feminism and World Peace

Global Feminism. 
2001 Earth drawing by Lynette Yetter, 
she transformed into a women's-symbol meme in 2020.
A meme I just created with my 2001 Earth drawing is the woman's symbol above. This meme has many meanings: Mother Earth, and women as Earth's foundation--in other words, Global Feminism. Women's power and Mother Earth's power need to be the guides for human societies. That's my intention with this meme.

Here's some background on my earth memes. The earth drawing, I created back in 2001 just after the twin towers in New York blew up. I drew a new view of the world to promote mutual understanding of each other as family members on Mother Earth. I shrunk the Atlantic ocean so that New York and Afghanistan share the same side of the planet. 

On the Saturday after the Twin Towers blew up I went to perform music with my panpipes and kena on the Santa Monica Pier, even though all large gatherings were cancelled due to fears of getting bombed by terrorists. To express my hope for world peace, I cut out my earth drawing and glued it on a tall blue candle in a glass--like the candles that usually have a picture of a Saint. I lit my candle and set it on my little table near my tip bucket and CDs for sale as I played to the massive emotional crowds roiling along the pier. 

I printed my earth drawing on to greeting cards, with the caption, "Shine your light. Illuminate humanity." 

Then I created the World Peace Flag project with this image, a community art project for all ages, which displayed in art galleries in Los Angeles. I'll dig in my website archives and find the page I made for this project, with downloadable earth to color with your hopes and dreams for the future, to add to the World Peace Prayer Flag Project. When I find that archived link, I'll post it here.

More recently, I re-purposed my Earth drawing into this meme for World Peace.
As you can see, I turned the south-pole up. And I titled it in Spanish, "Paz Mundial." I made this meme with the passion for people in so-called "developing countries" to be the voices, the agents, for world peace. The people that suffer the most from transnational capitalist greed and destruction need to be the people who define world peace--and how to get there. That is why the south is on top in my meme of World Peace.

What are your thoughts about world memes, world peace memes and women symbol memes?

No comments: