Friday, December 10, 2010

Nothing is Impossible; How to live your dreams in a big big way

While on the West Coast Tour of "Lucy Plays Panpipes for Peace, a novel" to inspire you - I was asked to share a personal behind-the-scenes glimpse of how one goes about living ones dreams.

Here is the full transcript of that presentation last Sunday at a World Peace Prayer meeting of the SGI-USA in Glendale, California.


We practice Nichiren Buddhism with the SGI in order to live our dreams and contribute to World Peace. 

One of my dreams was to follow the sound of the panpipes to Peru and Bolivia, seeking to find or create the ideal society of which they sing.

I have been able to use my Buddhist practice to live my dreams as an artist
and create value towards mutual understanding between people.

I learned how to play the panpipes and to speak Spanish.
I studied Quechua, the language of the Inka, for 2 years at UCLA.
I recorded 2 cds, the second was with top Bolivian musicians in Ayni Records.
I am the only foreign and only woman member of a traditional indigenous panpipe group in Ilave, Peru.
I made an award winning music video with people in Oruro, Bolivia who later almost all received their gohonzons and helped the local SGI group grow from
just one active member
to a thriving large district
that conducts its own kosen rufu gongyos,
like we are doing
here
today.

I wrote a novel, "Lucy Plays Panpipes for Peace" based on my experiences in the Andes, where I am a member of SGI-Bolivia and a permanent resident (with a Bolivian Greencard).

Why I am in North America
is because I am doing
a book tour,
from Vancouver, Canada
all the way down the West Coast,
ending
here
in
Southern California
on December 19.



Each of these accomplishments
was a result of confronting my fears
and fundamental darkness
head-on
with strong daimoku based on
faith, practice and study of the writings of
Nichiren Daishonin and President Daisaku Ikeda

Through continually seeking to strengthen my faith, practice and study with the SGI these past almost 26 years, I am developing the fortune to be in the right place at the right time and played panpipes of the opening title credits of the Academy Award Nominated Documentary "Recycled Life".

As some of you know, I am in the process of turning my first novel, "Lucy Plays Panpipes for Peace", into a feature film.

One experience from that filming process, I was requested to share with you today.

FILM

In Bolivia, I started gathering a film crew 3 months before the date of when I wanted to film the major scene in a public place in El Alto with 1,000s of free extras who would be there participating in a major indigenous ceremony. 2 weeks before that shooting date, all the cinema people I knew bailed on me and I was starting over from zero, because I knew absolutely no one else in the film industry in La Paz, Bolivia, and even if I did - I had a next to no budget.

So, I chanted nam myoho renge kyo to my gohonzon
with strong determination
that nothing is impossible,
If Nichiren could light up the execution beach at Tatsunokuchi with a meteor,
then somehow
I
would
find a great crew
on my next-to-nothing budget
to shoot this scene
on that certain day,
just 2 weeks away.

Like Nichiren writes in "On Attaining Buddhahood" - " when you chant ... you must summon up deep faith that Myoho-renge-kyo is your life itself.. Never doubt in the slightest."

After chanting, I took my trash out.
I sat on the curb reading a book, next to my sack of garbage, waiting for the trashtruck. As neighbors walked by, we greeted each other. One neighbor asked me what it was I do. I said that I am an independent artist and I'm making a movie and I need help.

What does he do? Did he once tell me that he makes cameras?

No, he said, I make lenses for microscopes but the most famous director in Bolivia lives in that house there. But, he doesn't live there anymore. He lives in .... I don't remember.

You'll remember.

And we kept chatting.

Oh! He lives on such and such street. His name is... I forget.

You'll remember.

We kept chatting.

Oh yeah! His name is Paolo. Paolo.... I forget.

You'll remember.

We kept chatting.

I remember! Paolo Agazzi!

The trash truck came, I emptied my trash, went back home and looked in the phone book. There were 2 listings for Paolo Agazzi. One at his old address and one at his new. I called. His wife answered.

I said,
"I'm your old neighbor on such and such street and I'm making a movie and I need help."

Paolo's on location. Here's his cell number.

I called him.

He answered.

We talked. He said to meet him in his office the next Tuesday.

Having stirred the universe into action with my strong daimoku, the very next day I got an email from another director who had not been responding to any emails or phone calls for weeks. Suddenly, out of the blue, he emailed me a bid saying he would provide
himself,
a line producer,
a HD camera,
equipment for a crane shot,
lights,
transportation,
2 days on location
and a third day for preparation,
all of that for a flat fee
that was 90%
lower
than his previous
bid.

Now all I needed, I thought, was 5 actors and another camera person.

On Tuesday when I arrived in Paolo Agazzi's office he was there with his casting director.

"Tell her what type of actors you need."

I did.

"What else do you need?"

I need a camera person.

He picks up his cell phone and calls one of his camera people.

"Hey! Paolo here. My good friend, Lynette, is doing a film and she's going to be calling you."

He hangs up and hands me a paper with the man's name and number.
What else do you need? An art director?

"Okay," I say, even though I had no budget for an art director.

He picks up his cell phone and calls another person.

"My good friend Lynette is doing a project and she's going to be calling you."

He hangs up and hands me another piece of paper, this one with the art director's name and number.

When I called the camera man, he responded with "Where do you want to meet and when?" and there he was, right on time.
This was totally different
than the old crew
who I had spent 3 months negotiating with,
to no avail.

I showed the camera man the story board.
He loved the project.
He said he was willing to take a deep cut in pay to work with me,
because he really believed in the message I was conveying.

Later it became obvious that I did indeed need an art director, even though I was already over budget. I called the contact. He said "When and where?" and he was there. I showed him the storyboard. He loved the project.

"Now it's time to talk money," I said.

He said,
"I'm very
very
expensive."

With my high life condition from chanting strong and abundant daimoku I just leaned back and laughed, and said,
"And I
have
nothing!"

He said.
"I'll do it
for
free," 
"Just buy the materials.
When you make it big in Hollywood
you can pay me then."

So, we successfully shot that major scene and everyone,
the sound man,
the musicians,
the dancers,
the actors,
the make up person,
the stage manager,
the director,
 line producer,
art director,
camera man,
everyone
worked together in harmony,
due to my strong determined daimoku.

Gratitude fills my heart for the wonderful people who came together and lent 100% of their creative energies to make this happen. Thank you.

This is just one of many amazing experiences on my continuing journey of seeking to unite my heart with my mentor in life, President Daisaku Ikeda, who recently was awarded his 300th academic honor,
even though he never graduated
from college.
I'm striving to develop my Buddha nature through faith, practice and study
with the SGI,
in order to become
absolutely happy
and contribute to
world peace.

With daimoku based on strong faith, practice and study,
as 2nd Soka Gakkai President Toda said,
"Nothing is impossible."


************

Practicamos el Budismo de Nichiren con la SGI para vivir nuestros sueños y contribuir a la Paz Mundial.
Uno de mis sueños era seguir el sonido de la flauta de pan a Perú y Bolivia, tratando de encontrar o crear la sociedad ideal de los que cantan.
He sido capaz de usar mi práctica budista para vivir mis sueños como artistay crear valor para el entendimiento mutuo entre las personas.
Aprendí a tocar la flauta de pan y de hablar español.Estudié el quechua, el idioma del Inka, durante 2 años en la UCLA.He grabado dos discos, el segundo fue con los mejores músicos de Bolivia en Documentos Ayni.Yo soy la única mujer miembro de extranjeros y sólo de un grupo de flauta indígena tradicional en Ilave, Perú.Hice un galardonado video musical con la gente en Oruro, Bolivia, que más tarde casi todos recibieron sus gohonzons y ayudó al grupo local de la SGI crecer a partir desólo un miembro activoa un gran distrito prósperoque lleva a cabo su propia gongyos kosen rufu,como lo estamos haciendoaquíhoy en día.
Yo escribí una novela, "Zampoñas por la Paz", basada en mis experiencias en los Andes, donde soy miembro de la SGI de Bolivia y un residente permanente (con una tarjeta verde de Bolivia).
¿Por qué estoy en América del Nortese debe a que estoy haciendouna gira de promoción,de Vancouver, Canadátodo el camino hasta la costa oeste,que terminaaquíenEl sur de Californiael 19 de diciembre.


Cada uno de estos logrosfue el resultado de enfrentar mis miedosy la oscuridad fundamentalde frentedaimoku con fuertes basadas enla fe, la práctica y el estudio de los escritos deNichiren Daishonin y Daisaku Ikeda Presidente
A través de una búsqueda constante para fortalecer mi fe, la práctica y el estudio de la SGI en estos últimos casi 26 años, estoy desarrollando la fortuna de estar en el lugar correcto en el momento adecuado y tocó flauta de los créditos de apertura título del documental nominado al Oscar " Vida reciclada ".
Como algunos de ustedes saben, estoy en el proceso de convertir mi primera novela, "Zampoñas por la Paz", en un largometraje.
Una experiencia de ese proceso de filmación, se me pidió compartir con ustedes hoy.
CINE
En Bolivia, que comenzó a reunir un equipo de filmación de tres meses antes de la fecha de cuando yo quería filmar la escena principal en un lugar público en El Alto con 1.000 s de extras sin que se haya participar en una ceremonia indígena importante. 2 semanas antes de que la fecha de captura, toda la gente del cine sabía rescatados en mí y yo estaba empezando de nuevo desde cero, porque yo no sabía absolutamente nadie más en la industria del cine en La Paz, Bolivia, e incluso si lo hice - yo tenía un casi nada de presupuesto.
Por lo tanto, yo cantaba nam myoho renge kyo a mi Gohonzoncon la firme determinaciónque nada es imposible,Si Nichiren podría iluminar la playa de ejecución en la Tatsunokuchi con un meteoro,entonces de alguna maneraIseencontrar un gran equipoen mi siguiente-a-nada presupuestopara rodar esta escenaen ese día concreto,a sólo 2 semanas.
Al igual que Nichiren escribe en "El logro de la Budeidad" - "cuando cantas ... hay que armarse de fe profunda de que Myoho-renge-kyo es su vida misma .. Nunca dude en lo más mínimo."
Después de cantar, me tomé mi basura.Me senté en la acera de leer un libro, al lado de mi saco de basura, esperando que el trashtruck. Como vecinos andaban por ahí, nos saludamos unos a otros. Un vecino me preguntó qué era lo que yo hago. Me dijo que soy un artista independiente y estoy haciendo una película y necesito ayuda.
¿Qué hace? ¿Sabía que una vez me dicen que hace que las cámaras?
No, él dijo, yo hago las lentes de los microscopios, pero el director más famoso en la vida de Bolivia en esa casa allí. Pero, él no vive ahí. Vive en .... No me acuerdo.
Usted recordará.
Y seguimos charlando.
¡Oh! Vive en la calle tal y tal. Su nombre es ... Se me olvida.
Usted recordará.
Seguimos charlando.
Oh, sí! Su nombre es Pablo. Paolo .... Se me olvida.
Usted recordará.
Seguimos charlando.
Me acuerdo! Paolo Agazzi!
El camión de la basura llegó, vacié mi basura, volvió a su casa y buscó en la guía telefónica. Había dos listados de Paolo Agazzi. Uno en su antigua dirección y otro en su nuevo. Llamé. Su esposa respondió.
Me dijo:"Yo soy tu viejo vecino de la calle tal y tal y yo estoy haciendo una película y necesito ayuda."
Paolo de la ubicación. Aquí está su número de celular.
Lo llamé.
Él respondió.
Hablamos. Él dijo a su encuentro en su oficina el próximo martes.
Después de haber agitado el universo en acción con mi daimoku fuerte, al día siguiente recibí un correo electrónico de otro director que no había estado respondiendo a los correos electrónicos o llamadas telefónicas durante semanas.De repente, de la nada, me enviará por correo electrónico una oferta diciendo que proporcionaríasí mismo,un productor en línea,una cámara de alta definición,equipos para un tiro de la grúa,luces,el transporte,Dos días en el lugary un tercer día para la preparación,todo ello por una tarifa planaque fue del 90%menorque su anterioroferta.
Ahora todo lo que necesitaba, pensé, era de 5 actores y otra persona de la cámara.
El martes cuando llegué a la oficina de Paolo Agazzi de que estaba allí con su director de casting.
"Dile qué tipo de actores que necesita."
Yo lo hice.
"¿Qué más necesito?"
Necesito una persona de la cámara.
Él toma su teléfono celular y llama a uno de la gente de su cámara.
"¡Hey! Paolo aquí. Mi buen amigo, Lynette, está haciendo una película y ella va a estar llamando."
Él cuelga y me entrega un papel con el nombre del hombre y el número.¿Qué más necesita? Un director de arte?
-Está bien-digo, aunque yo no tenía presupuesto para un director de arte.
Él toma su teléfono celular y llama a otra persona.
"Mi buen amigo de Lynette está haciendo un proyecto y que va a estar llamando."
Él cuelga y me entrega una hoja de papel, esta vez con el nombre del director de arte y el número.
Cuando me llamó el hombre de la cámara, que respondió con "¿Dónde quieres que se encuentran y cuándo?" y allí estaba él, justo a tiempo.Esto era totalmente diferentede la tripulación de edadque había pasado tres meses negociando con,fue en vano.
Me mostró el hombre de la cámara del story board.Le encantaba el proyecto.Dijo que estaba dispuesto a tomar un corte profundo en la remuneración a trabajar conmigo,porque realmente creía en el mensaje que estaba transmitiendo.
Más tarde se hizo evidente que, efectivamente, necesita un director de arte, a pesar de que ya estaba por encima del presupuesto. Llamé al contacto. Él dijo: "¿Cuándo y dónde?" y él estaba allí. Le mostré el guión gráfico. Le encantaba el proyecto.
"Ahora es el momento de hablar de dinero", le dije.
Él dijo:"Estoy muymuycaro ".
Con mi condición de vida de alta de cantar daimoku fuerte y abundante que sólo se echó hacia atrás y se rió, y dijo:"Y yohannada! "
Dijo."Yo lo harédelibre ","Acaba de comprar los materiales.Cuando usted lo hace grande en Hollywoodusted me puede pagar después. "
Así, hemos podido disparo que la escena principal y todo el mundo,el hombre de sonido,los músicos,los bailarines,los actores,el maquillaje persona,el director de escena,el director,
 
línea de producción,el director de arte,cámara de hombre,todo el mundotrabajaron juntos en armonía,debido a mi fuerte daimoku determinado.
Ese hombre misma camágrofo y director del arte que compartieron sus grandes talentospor la bondad de sus corazones?Más tarde trabajó en BlackthornconSam Shepard.
Este es el calibrede personasque daimoku fuertellamaron.


Mi corazon esta llena de gratitúd por las esfuerzas creativas de 100% de muchas personas para hacer este sueño realidad.

Esto es sólo una de las muchas experiencias asombrosas en mi viaje permanente de tratar de unir mi corazón con mi mentor en la vida, el presidente, Daisaku Ikeda, quien recientemente fue galardonado con el honor académico 300,aunque nunca se graduóde la universidad.Estoy tratando de desarrollar mi naturaleza de Buda a través de la fe, la práctica y el estudiocon la SGI,para llegar a serabsolutamente felizy contribuir ala paz mundial.
Con daimoku sobre la base de una fe fuerte práctica y estudio,como segundo presidente de Soka Gakkai, Josei Toda, dijo,"Nada es imposible".












No comments: